Tuesday 10 June 2008

Blossoms and Glass Slippers


Wow! Two posts in one day, just to alleviate the guilt I feel at not posting for two months-and to prove I'm not a lazy arse! The following pictures depict a work in progress, Sengen, the Japanese goddess of the blossom and Mount Fuji.

I've finally found a way around my inability to produce a proper finished drawing. Since line drawing is not my area of expertise I've decided that my sketches should be done using thread. Initially I worked via a process of rough preliminary sketches before moving on to final pieces. This process has been pretty trial and error, sometimes it works, sometimes I end up with a pile of crap on my canvas.

For some reason the process of thread sketching works for me. I'm not sure why, perhaps because it feels as though each one could stand alone as a piece in itself, or maybe its because I can explore shape, form and composition while still using colour. Who knows? The odd thing about this piece is I don't actually feel that it would work as a painting, perhaps the composition is a little fussy, but in this medium it works for me.


So anyway, there you go, let me know what you think!

No comments: